Monday 18 August 2014

Another month gone in the life of Fatquarterbird

Time whizzes by! An older friend and work colleague once said to me, many years ago now, that when you are young your days and life stretch endlessly ahead of you, then, at some mystical point suddenly time seems to whizz past and your days and life seem to flash past!
I am pretty sure that I have certainly past that mystical point in time. I wake up, do stuff, then it's bed time again. Where did that day go????? Then it happens over and over and the week is gone!!!!
I love my life and I want to savour it!
I am enjoying my sewing, just chugging along on a few projects, with an eye to finishing a few for our local guild's show in October.
I am quilting Harperville, a flannel quilt pattern by Kathy Doughty.
 I am also hoping to finish this nine patch beauty, the result of a block swap last year.
 I am slowly making "elements" for my MSG quilt. No real plan yet but my fabric choices are becoming more obvious to me!
 Getting out and about, I had a lovely day in Sydney at the quilt show, catching up with old friends and meeting new ones! It was so strange to instantly recognise faces of people I had really only chatted with on social media!
I loved the new venue and the quilt display was great. The day didn't end so well for me, with a phone call mid afternoon from my brother to say my 89 yr old Mum had been taken to hospital in an ambulance after a nasty fall.
So, from a before dawn start, to a day at the quilt show, then a 2.5 hour drive home, to a hospital emergency room till after midnight, it was a pretty big day.
A broken nose, a broken wrist and stitches in the head has meant that my dear old Mum has required some fairly intense TLC for the past few weeks. Thankfully she is now close to mended and getting back to being fairly independent.
Last week as a reward for being the dutiful daughter, Top Gear and I snuck away for a few days to visit Mudgee and surrounds. We visited a few wineries, went for a few long walks, checked out the local museums and ate far too much good food.

Another little project is fast coming to fruition. About six weeks ago I did the deal with our local sewing machine store and a Sweet Sixteen quilting machine came home to live with me. (Haven"t actually had much time to practise on it yet ..... read first part of post.) Hmmmmm, exciting yes but where was I going to put it? I moved it into the 2nd spare bedroom (my sewing room is in the 1st spare bedroom) but I wasn"t really happy with that set up.......brainwave hit.....knock the wall out  and make two rooms into one. Surprisingly, Top Gear agreed it was a good idea so this happened.....
BEFORE:
 AFTER:
 Nearly there!!!
Add into all this chaos, regular activities like exercise classes, sewn groups, book club, running a household (or two), and keeping up socially with friends......well.....
TIME WHIZZES BY!
Happy Stitching



3 comments:

  1. You have been super busy with lots of things happening....love your stitching and the room reveal....found any more space yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the new space looks great..........now to move everything back in...............lovely to meet you in Sydney..........glad to hear your Mum is doing well...........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad things are settling down a bit for you. Hope you get some time down to do some quilting on that new machine . I also have many to do before the oft show. Don't know if I'll be able to get to it in my current state!! Wouldn't it be ironic if I don't get one finished this year?

    ReplyDelete